We were tagged for the Liebster Award quite a few times in the past two weeks, so we’re combining them all for this master answering session. We feel so honored to get so much love from the blogging community, and we have really felt it the past two weeks. Other blogs have been so receptive to working with us and giving us tips. It’s just so amazing to be involved in this community. If you ever want to chat with us, tweet us or email us (I know how antiquated, but it’s a nice private way to talk) and we’d love to hear from y’all. Being new bloggers, you guys don’t really know much about us, so we hope this helps you guys get to know us a bit better!
The rules of the tag are…
1. Thank and link the person who tagged you
2. Answer the nominator’s 11 questions
3. Nominate 11 small blogs who have less than 200 followers. You should believe that they deserve this award and include their link in your post.
We were tagged by the lovely Laura Kate, who is an absolutely gorgeous (like seriously gorgeous) lifestyle and fashion blogger.
1. An interesting fact about yourself?
Shaguna: I was born in India and moved when I was three and half. Since then, since then I have lived in five places. I’m currently in Hong Kong on a semester abroad.
2. Name 3 things you couldn’t live without.
S: I don’t know if this includes things like ~your family or friends~, but I’m going to assume it’s material things. I can’t live without my phone, my laptop, my watch.
3. Favourite meal?
S: I’m a big fan of Tex-Mex food, so I have to say fajitas in my favorite meal.
4. If you could treat yourself to one thing right now, what would it be?
S: I would go get a pedicure and then go to high tea with my friends.
5. How long have you been blogging?
S: We have been blogging for about one month currently. I had a different blogspot blog about 5 years ago, which is quite embarrassing and awful. Also, I have a study abroad blog
, which I’ve been using on and off about 3 months.
6. Favourite item of clothing?
S: I recently bought a few simple fit-and-flare jersey dresses from h&m. They are so cute and comfortable. I look so put together, when I truly was too lazy to wear more than one item of clothing.
7. Favourite film?
S: I’m a big fan of really bad movies. My favorite movie is either Princess Diaries or Wild Child.
8. Do you have any hobbies?
S: I love playing soccer. I played on a team for 12 years, and now I play intramural soccer. I’m a big fan of Netflix too. I don’t know if it counts as a hobby, but it does the way I do.
9. What does a normal day in your life look like?
S: Right now, a normal day looks like be walking up at 8:30. I have class straight from 9 to 1:30. I generally get lunch, and then take a nap till 3. Afterwards, I’ll do homework and study till 6. After that, I usually eat dinner or just hang around with my friends. Afterwards, I generally just hang around with my friends, work out, or watch Netflix till I sleep.
10. Where would you like to be/how do you see yourself in 25 years?
S: In twenty-five years, I would like to be the CEO of my own company. I have no other details, just that. I would like to be surrounded by my friends and family.
11. What is your favourite thing about yourself?
S: I love my smile. I smile a lot and for no reason, which makes people feel really weird. I’m a generally happy person, and it takes a lot to upset me.
Another person who tagged us was Hanney, who takes the most amazing blog pictures. She loves writing about her life experiences and makeup reviews!
12. If you could only listen to one album for the rest of your life what would you choose?
Kaylee: I’m really stuck on this one! It’s probably between Haim’s Days Are Gone and One Direction’s FOUR.
13. What is your favourite type of blog post to read?
S: I love reading favorites post that are comprehensive. I love when it includes everything, not only their blog niche.
14. When was the last time you did something for the first time? and what was it?
K: I spent a really long time thinking about this, and I guess I couldn’t remember. I got actually hailed on last weekend in Austin, which had never happened to me before. Had some hail in my ice cream too. 🙁
15. Would you rather be too hot or too cold?
S: I would rather be too cold. I hate being sweaty.
16. What would you love to be doing in 5 years time?
K: We’ll still be running this blog (at least we better be), and hopefully I’ll have a nice, stable job as some company’s environmental consultant or maybe saving the planet in some way with resource and conservation management.
17. If I gave you £500 to spend, what would you buy?
S: I would buy a ticket to Bali. I’m in such a travel kick, so that seems a little ridiculous, but it’s much much more expensive to fly there than anywhere else.
18. What does a day in your life look like?
K: During the school year I wake up around 8 and go to class. That’s the only stable part of my schedule. After that, it depends on the day of the week. I fill in my designated procrastinating time now by going through gold&hearts’s social media and taking pictures sometimes. At night I sit around with my roommates and watch whatever’s being watched on Hulu or Netflix that day (Gilmore Girls, Friends, Bob’s Burgers, who knows?).
19. Is there something which you love to do, although most people dislike it?
S: I love sleeping with socks on!
20. What is a book you would recommend as a must read?
S: Mindy Kaling’s Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me is a must read. I relate to her on a spiritual level.
21. Describe the last photo taken on your phone?
K: It’s a picture of some photo booth strips of my friend William and me. His birthday was the other day, but they didn’t make the cut for the birthday Instagram.
22. What is something which you’re proud of yourself for?
K: I’m honestly so proud that we started this blog and have managed to find people that like it! I love that we’ve actually kept up with posting because we just like doing this so much.
The lovely Ophelia, who is aggressively cool, tagged us! If you’re looking for a lifestyle blog with super relatable articles, she’s your gal!
23. How do you spend your Friday night?
S: I have two very different Friday nights and they alternate. The first is going out to clubs with my friends because I’m legal here in Hong Kong. The other is usually watching Netflix and doing blog stuff maybe followed by a short wine night.
24. Who is one person you could not live without? Why?
K: Our best friend Carrie is the bomb diggity. She’s always there for me (and vice versa), and I literally couldn’t imagine life without her. I’ve known her since the sixth grade, so we got to experience each other’s terribly awkward stages firsthand. Sometimes she helps with the blog, too, when Shaguna’s sleeping.
25. Have you ever been heart broken?
S: I haven’t. I don’t really know what else to say here.
26. What is your main blogging goal?
S: I’d really like to have genuine followers. I don’t really care about making money or getting famous or whatever (though it would be nice). I just want the people who read our blog to actually connect with what we’re saying instead of just scrolling past.
27. What is one thing you have been putting off doing?
K: I’m giving a 20-minute presentation on a project I did for my Environmental Management class on Monday. I’m really nervous about it because I can’t stand speaking in front of people, but I’m practicing a lot this weekend.
28. If you could be a character from any book, who would you choose?
K: Violet Baudelaire from A Series of Unfortunate Events. She’s so smart and has good ideas in the blink of an eye. I loved her when I was little! Sometimes I even put up my hair when I’m doing work like she does, but mostly because I don’t like it in my face.
29. Would you time travel if you could?
S: I would go back to the 60s and talk to Holocaust survivors. I think in the 60s they would be more comfortable talking to it.
30. What is your dream car?
K: I’d love a Tesla. So electric and fancy.
31. Which five possessions would you save from a house fire?
S: I would grab my shoes, my phone, my laptop, my car keys, and my box of memories.
32. If you had one wish, what would it be?
K: I’d honestly wish for world peace. Like, the means by which it could be attained are all here, but people are too stubborn and selfish to do anything.
33. What song best describes your current mood?
K: I’m watching Bob’s Burgers as I write this and have been in my pajamas all day, so probably the show’s theme song.
The beautiful Ellie tagged us, as well! She’s got a wonderful beauty blog that makes us want to move to England for all the different stuff!
34. What made you want to start a blog?
K: We’ve had other Tumblr blogs for a long time, but we wanted something different that we could have total control over. We looked at huge blogs like A Beautiful Mess and Cupcakes and Cashmere and thought, “why not?”
35. If you could only have 2 beauty products for the rest of your life what would they be?
S: I would have the L’Oreal Super Slim Eyeliner and the Bare Escentuals Buxom Lash Mascara.
36. Would you ever want blogging to be your job or do you see it more as a hobby?
S: Currently, it’s a hobby. I’m not a person who is very creative, and this is the ideal creative outlet for me.
37. What is your favorite quote and for what reason?
K: “Keep moving forward,” like from Meet the Robinsons. It’s simple and still motivating.
38. What makes you happy?
S: French bulldogs make me happy.
39. What is your favorite fashion store?
S: I love Zara. The clothes fit me so well, and they are really good at taking inspiration from big designers. I also love Loft because I’m a lame business major.
40. Where is your favorite place to go on holiday?
K: I absolutely love Disney World! I really want to do their College Program, but I’ll have to see how well it fits with my major. I’m hoping to go out to California to see my little this summer, so maybe I’ll go to Disneyland for the first time!
41. If you could live in any city in the world where would you choose?
S: I’m currently in Hong Kong, and I love it. I would love to be back in Austin. I think if I was moving somewhere, I would would move to London or Madrid.
42. How would you describe your style?
K: When I look like a real human (not often; comfort is my utmost priority), my style can vary between street chic and, like, the late ‘80s to ‘90s as a whole. I own too many scrunchies is what I’m getting at.
43. What is your favorite film/TV Series?
S: I love Gilmore Girls, Made in Chelsea, and Bob’s Burgers. I’m currently watching Parenthood, and it’s great. Okay, I love a lot of tv shows.
44. Where is your favourite place to go out to eat?
K: There’s a place in Houston called Jus’ Mac that’s literally all different types of macaroni and cheese. Also Torchy’s Tacos because who doesn’t love tacos?
Brooke, who’s also in a sorority, tagged us also! She knows how to get by living in a dorm, which is something only a select few can do.
45. What should you be doing right now, but you’re not?
S: Wow, where do I start? I should be eating breakfast, showering, writing my marketing paper, preparing for my meeting with my TA, making my marketing presentation.
46. What internet provider do you use?
K: Here in Waco we have Grande Communications, but at home in Houston I have AT&T.
47. Why did you start a blog?
S: Kaylee and I have undertaken a lot of internet ventures together, and I think this was the natural next step. Kaylee is an amazing photographer, and it was something I think she missed in college. I’m a really practical person, so I balance out her creativity with organization and structure. We started a blog to share our thoughts and tips with the world. Also, we both read a lot of blogs, so we really wanted to be in that community.
48. Favorite trend right now?
K: This is a little bit of a shameless plug for our own post, but I’m still so in love with marble! It looks so clean and pairs really well with gold decor. I’m excited to have a new apartment next year to completely decorate!
49. Chocolate or vanilla?
S: I prefer chocolate by itself, but I’m not a fan of chocolate flavored things. I prefer vanilla ice cream, cupcakes, etc.
K: Both, actually. My favorite cupcakes are vanilla with chocolate frosting!
50. What is your favorite post you’ve written so far?
S: My favorite post I’ve written so far hasn’t actually come out yet. It actually comes out the 28th. I’m really excited about it. It was one of those posts where I started writing and everything just came out.
51. What are you summer plans?
K: I’m applying for a few environmental internships that’ll count as credit for school, so fingers crossed on that! Right after my last final (and Mother’s Day, of course), I’m going out to South Carolina to road trip back to Houston with our best friend Carrie!
52. What do you want to be when you “grow up”?
S: I want to be the CEO of a company that adds value to world. Maybe it’s a green beauty or a tech company. I have no idea, but I want to be able to break into c-suite level.
53. What is your favorite thing about your home town?
K: Houston has so much food. You can have a feeling for Cajun, Mexican, Indian, and everything in between, and it’ll be a few minutes away (unless there’s traffic).
54. All time favorite song and why?
S: My all-time favorite song is probably Champagne Supernova by Oasis.
55. Best blogging tip?
K: Don’t try to sugarcoat stuff to get readers. Just write out how you feel on a topic or how to do something as straightforward as possible because no one wants to read in circles! A blog isn’t an English paper with a page requirement, so do whatever you want!
Laura tagged us, too! She’s super stylish and knows her way around a makeup bag!
56. If you could be at a dinner party with five people (dead or alive) who would it be?
K: Oh, this is a hard one. I’d really want a conversation between the Beatles and One Direction since I love them both, so maybe John Lennon and Paul McCartney (sorry Ringo and George) and Harry Styles and Niall Horan and Zayn Malik (to see why he really left).
57. What is your favourite shop?
K: I’ve worked at Cotton On over the last two summers and over this past holiday season. They have so many basics that are reasonably priced (especially with an employee discount!), so I get most of my clothes there. Goodwill is also a great place for a shopping spree!
58. Would you rather have a night out or a movie night in?
S: I actually like both, but I would go with movie night in.
S: Uh, I don’t really wear either. I usually wear loafers or boots.
60. What is your ideal holiday destination? Why?
S: My ideal holiday destination currently is Bora Bora. I’ve seen so many amazing beaches recently, but I think it would an amazing holiday.
61. What are your favourite type of blog posts?
K: I like lists and DIY projects a lot. Lists make me feel more put together because everything is right in front of you and you think, “Yeah! This totally makes sense and all of these reasons are logical!” DIY projects are a really good insight into the blogger’s creative side, and I like to read instructions (I don’t know why).
62. What is your ideal job?
S: My ideal job is a smaller company with a familial feel that’s less hierarchal.
63. Sum up your personality in three words
K: Weird, sleepy, funny?
64. Who inspires you?
S: My mom inspires me. She balances working, home, and health effortlessly.
65. What is your favourite book?
S: My favorite book is I am Malala.
66. What is your favourite thing to do in summer?
K: Sleeping is always a good thing when you don’t get enough of it during the school year. But I like keeping myself busy by working and babysitting my sister’s kids (6, 2, and 3 months old).
Geena’s a super cute vegan and a super cool person for nominating us! We love her style!
67. Why did you call your blog, the way you called it?
K: Well, we were gonna name it hearts&crafts, but we didn’t want to commit to doing DIYs all day long because we wanted to be a lifestyle blog. Also, gold&hearts is supposed to be a punny version of golden hearts. We know we’re corny.
68. If you could be any animal, which one would you be and why?
K: I love animals, but I think my favorites are sloths and snails. Slow-moving things that mind their own business is what I’m all about.
69. What was the craziest thing you have ever done?
K: My roommate pierced my cartilage in our kitchen, if that counts. It’s a little crooked, but I still look cool.
70. Do you have any hidden talents?
K: I can actually touch my real tongue to my real elbow.
71. What would you do, If you were the other gender for one day?
K: I’d see how much I could advance in society and how differently I was treated for 24 hours and then write a big rant about it.
72. What do you like most about yourself?
K: Probably my eyebrows. I’m so glad that strong eyebrows are a thing now because that’s what I’ve got and always had.
73. What is your biggest pet peeve?
K: People who eat gross, like smacking and stuff. It makes me so frustrated. Close your mouth!!!!!!
74. What is/was your most hated subject at school and why?
K: In high school I really couldn’t stand _____. Now it’s calculus. It’s just so hard for me to understand the concepts. Glad I don’t have to take it ever again.
75. If you had to change your name for some reason, how would you name yourself?
K: Something weird like Lavender. I don’t know. My name fits me find, I think.
76. If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
K: Probably PB&Js. Or avocado and spinach grilled cheeses.
77. Something more serious at the end: If you had to choose when you were going to die, which age would you choose and why?
K: Around 70 to 80, I guess. By then I would’ve established a family and all that without having to see my friends die (hopefully).
Wow, that was a whole lot of questions, but we (and you, too) made it through! We hope y’all liked getting to know us better. Now here are our nominations:
Our questions are:
1. What’s your 90-day blogging goal?
2. How do you prepare your cereal? Milk or cereal first?
3. What’s your favorite part about blogging?
4. Who was your last text message from, and what did it say?
5. If you had one life lesson to share with someone, what would you tell them?
6. Which one of your personality traits would make someone call you their role model?
7. What color is your favorite to wear?
8. What was the last thing that made you laugh?
9. What was your most awkward moment in middle school?
10. Tell us about your best friend and what makes them amazing.
11. What’s your favorite kind of cookie?
We look forward to hearing from all of y’all because you deserve this award and we love learning about new people!